On the 5th August 2015 we fly out of Heathrow Airport to start our Route 66 road trip.
The following is a list of the towns and cities we are visiting along with the hotels and motels we are staying in. Each location will receive its own page as we travel along the route on our adventure but this will give you an idea to start with. Ive included links to all of the places we are staying so you can take a look and maybe get some ideas for your own trip.
- August 5th – Chicago Illinois for 2 nights staying in the Talbott Hotel
- August 7th – Springfield Illinois – one night at the President Abraham Lincoln Doubletree
- August 8th – St Louis – one night at the Embassy Suites Downtown
- August 9th – Cuba Missouri staying at the classic Wagon Wheel Motel
- August 10th – Carthage Missouri – we have room 10 at Boots Court Motel where Clark Gable spent his honeymoon !
- August 11th – Bricktown Oklahoma staying one night at the Colcord Hotel
- August 12th – AmarilloTexas staying in the home of the 72oz Steak challenge, The Big Texan
- August 13th – Tucumcari New Mexico staying one night at the The Motel Safari ( it was a tough choice between the Safari and the Blue Swallow)
- August 14th – Santa Fe New Mexico staying two nights at the Inn of the Govorners
- August 16th – Monument Valley Utah a slight deviation off Route 66 for a one night stay at the View Hotel
- August 17th – The Grand Canyon National Park Arizona staying one night at Kachina Lodge
- August 18th – we will be standing on the corner in Winslow Arizona and staying at La Posada
- August 19th – Kingman Arizona staying one night at El Trovatore
- August 20th – (Viva) Las Vegas Nevada takes us off Route 66 again to stay for three nights at Hotel New York New York
- August 23rd – San Bernardino California we are doing a classic here, one night at the WigWam Motel
- August 24th – Santa Monica California as the Road trips draws to an end we are staying a couple of nights in this cool surfer shack style motel, Hotel California
So, that will be about 2800 miles in 3 weeks – it sounds tough going but its less than a weeks worth of mileage for me in my job 😀
Keep checking back for more updates and feel free to comment below if you have any thing to add or any personal experience of the hotels we have chosen